Thursday, July 24, 2014

Fear-what are you afraid of? #11




Do you like to be corrected? Ha! Me either. As I have grown older though I realize how much I need correction. When we were young and our parents had to correct us...we did not like it! But oh how thankful I am now for their love shown through correction. The reason they corrected me through spankings and groundings was because they loved me! They wanted the best for me and at the time I did not think so but I sure do now. It is the same with God! Many times we fear his correction but His children should not fear it but appreciate it as it helps us draw nearer to Him!



Jeremiah 46:28





28 Fear not, O Jacob my servant,

declares the Lord,

for I am with you.

I will make a full end of all the nations

to which I have driven you,

but of you I will not make a full end.

I will discipline you in just measure,

and I will by no means leave you unpunished.”



Here we see Israel wandered away from God and His teachings, now they must be punished. Disobedience brings consequences! It is the same for us! Look here:



Proverbs 13:24





24 Whoever spares the rod hates his son,

but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.



Now just this past week a so-called expert was on CNN and stated we should never spank your child. Well I am sorry but God has spoken here and God is the authority not man. Spankings are needed at times! This may be why many kids have no respect for authority...because talk often does not get their attention!





Hebrews 12:11



11 For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.



Proverbs 12:1



Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.



Hebrews 12:5-10



5 And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons?



“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,

nor be weary when reproved by him.

6 For the Lord disciplines the one he loves,

and chastises every son whom he receives.”

7 It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? 8 If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. 9 Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? 10 For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. 11 For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.



As we see God's correction is needed and prosperous for His children. Do not fear His correction, accept it, and learn from it so we can bear the fruit of the Lord! God loves us that is why He corrects us!



Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment