Thursday, July 21, 2016

It takes faith as well as work!



One of my favorite authors J.C Ryle reminds us that being a true Christian takes two things: “Surely the Scriptures teach us that in following holiness, the true Christian needs personal exertion and work--as well as faith.” Now Faith is the key to salvation and is the only thing that saves, but once we are saved it takes work to live and grow in our faith.

Paul said: “the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God” Gal.2:20 and He also said “ I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” 2Tim.4:7. And 1 Corinthians 9:25-27 “And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.”

So we see in the Word that as followers we must first have faith in Jesus! But then it takes work as a follower to be obedient to the works God has called us too.

Are you working? It really isn’t an option for the true Christian!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment