Friday, February 10, 2017

Examples of Faith and Assurance. #5



Today we will wrap up our looks at the difference in jus plain faith and having true assurance of your faith. We have been taking some excerpts from JC Ryle’s book “Holiness” and will continue in this devotion.

In the last example Ryle says: “Faith is Saul praying in the house of Judas at Damascus, sorrowful, blind and alone.” Acts 9:11 And the Lord said to him, “Rise and go to the street called Straight, and at the house of Judas look for a man of Tarsus named Saul, for behold, he is praying,

Ryle continues: “Assurance is Paul, the aged prisoner, looking calmly into the grave, and saying, “I know whom I have believed. There is a crown laid up for me”” 2 Timothy 1:12,4:8. 

2 Timothy 1:12 which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me.
2 Timothy 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.

Do you see the difference? Faith is believing in Christ, assurance is knowing with little doubt about the outcome no matter what this world brings your way!!!

I pray for you this morning, that you have the child like faith in the Messiah and that you also have the assurance that all His promises will come true!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment