Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Are you following Jesus? #26




Alright back in the saddle again. So lets get back into our study and look at desiring God's Word as a follower of Jesus.



As a follower of Jesus there should be a longing for the Word of God. It is our guide book for life and without it one does not know how to walk in the faith correctly. God reveals Himself to us through scripture.



Did you ever notice before you became a follower that the bible was boring and seemed like jibberish? It sure was to me anyway. But when I gave myself to Jesus the Words on the pages jumped out at me and spoke to my heart. The Holy Spirit revealed things to me that I could not understand before I was following Jesus. It is a miracle in itself.



David in the bible says about the Word:


Psalm 19:7-11

7 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul;The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple;8 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart;The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes;9 The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever;The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.10 More to be desired are they than gold,Yea, than much fine gold;Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.11 Moreover by them Your servant is warned,And in keeping them there is great reward.



Wow...did David think the Word was important? to be desired more than gold! Oh yes he did and so should we. Psalm 119 is the longest chapter in the bible and it is all about the importance of reading, learning, meditating and doing the Word of God.



Listen to what Jesus said about the Word of God:




Matthew 4:4

4 But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’”



The Word is one of our life lines to God. It is how we keep strong when we are in the cross hairs of temptation.



I will close with this from Psalms 119...take time to read psalm 119 it will reveal to you the desire we all need to have for the most important book in the world!




Psalm 119:17-24

17 Deal bountifully with Your servant,That I may live and keep Your word.18 Open my eyes, that I may see Wondrous things from Your law.19 I am a stranger in the earth;Do not hide Your commandments from me.20 My soul breaks with longing For Your judgments at all times.21 You rebuke the proud—the cursed,Who stray from Your commandments.22 Remove from me reproach and contempt,For I have kept Your testimonies.23 Princes also sit and speak against me,But Your servant meditates on Your statutes.24 Your testimonies also are my delight And my counselors.



Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment