Thursday, June 1, 2017

Is this one of your purpose today?



Thomas Kempis said “This ought to be our purpose, then: to conquer self, to become stronger each day, to advance virtue.”
Of course he was talking in regard to our walk with Jesus. So let us break this down with scripture. 

1. conquer self- Jesus himself said we are to deny self....so each day we must put self behind and the work of the Lord in front of us....Are we?  

Luke 9:23 Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.

2. become stronger each day-Are we growing in your walk and faith in the Lord each day? The key to this is not us but total dependency on God!  

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

3. to advance in virtue-first we need to understand what virtue is. Virtue is showing a high moral standard. So for the follower of Jesus that means living as much like Jesus as we possibly can! We are told to have virtue! 

2 Peter 1:5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge,

So again I ask...we these on your list today to pursue? They should be so let’s go after them for the Lord’s glory!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment