Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Lessons from Ecuador #3







As I have thought about this mission trip one of the biggest lessons that keeps coming to mind is my greed! The people of Ecuador seem so content with what they have. They seem to be happy for the most part. I think about the faces in the crowd in church on Sunday mornings here in the states....so many are unhappy. I think one of the main reasons is we always want more out of life...read this scripture:

Luke 12:16-21

16 Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. 17 And he thought within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?’ 18 So he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. 19 And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.”’ 20 But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’
21 “So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.”

This is so simple from God this morning. Our life is to revolve around Him. Everything we have is His! Our time, our money, our things, and our lives. We are blind here in America to the blessings God has given us. Even what we consider poor here are rich compared to many of the people of Ecuador.

I asked my translator Paolia to be honest with me and tell me what Ecuadorians think of folks from the United States and she gave me a one word answer..."Rich". You know what compared to the folks there she is right.

So this morning if you are feeling bad about where you are materialistically....be content for you are blessed!

Are you rich toward God???

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment