Thursday, January 19, 2012

Complacency....does this describe you?

As I was having my quiet time yesterday the Lord laid a word on my heart that has made me do some searching in my soul. I want to think about this word called complacency this morning. First let's define it: a feeling of quiet pleasure or security, often while unaware of some potential danger, defect, or the like; self-satisfaction or smug satisfaction with an existing situation, condition, etc. Hmmmmmm! As you have that thought in mind read these verses:



Proverbs 1:20-33



The Call of Wisdom

20 Wisdom calls aloud outside;

She raises her voice in the open squares.

21 She cries out in the chief concourses,

At the openings of the gates in the city

She speaks her words:

22 “ How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity?

For scorners delight in their scorning,

And fools hate knowledge.

23 Turn at my rebuke;

Surely I will pour out my spirit on you;

I will make my words known to you.

24 Because I have called and you refused,

I have stretched out my hand and no one regarded,

25 Because you disdained all my counsel,

And would have none of my rebuke,

26 I also will laugh at your calamity;

I will mock when your terror comes,

27 When your terror comes like a storm,

And your destruction comes like a whirlwind,

When distress and anguish come upon you.

28 “ Then they will call on me, but I will not answer;

They will seek me diligently, but they will not find me.

29 Because they hated knowledge

And did not choose the fear of the LORD,

30 They would have none of my counsel

And despised my every rebuke.

31 Therefore they shall eat the fruit of their own way,

And be filled to the full with their own fancies.

32 For the turning away of the simple will slay them,

And the complacency of fools will destroy them;

33 But whoever listens to me will dwell safely,

And will be secure, without fear of evil.”



Now in these verse wisdom is rebuking those who refuse to find her and seek the knowledge of her in the Lord. We are told in these verses when we refuse to learn the knowledge of the Lord which involves fear, awe, study of His Word, prayer, listening for Him to speak to us, and loving others. Then we are told what will happen when we listen to self or the world...wisdom will not counsel them and they will reap what they sow! Ouch!



I want you to look at verse 32....the complacency of fools will destroy them. Then I want you to ask yourself like I have...have I become complacent in my faith? Thinking I am good where I am at in my safe comfortable place wit Jesus. I know all I need to know about God. My friends our relationship with God and is a work in progress and if we become complacent we are in danger of being this fool wisdom is talking about here.



Take time to pray about this today and let the Holy Spirit talk to you about where you in your walk with the Lord....don't be a fool!



Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment