Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Ten Commandments #5


What an awesome mission trip I just returned from! The youth did a great job getting a summer camp ready for use to bring others closer to Christ. Thank you for all the birthday wishes while I was gone, although I am getting to the age I would like to forget about birthdays...lol!

Now to today's devotion!

This is one of my favorites! It seems so simple. I dare say all of us have gone through stages in life where we purposely disregarded this commandment. Why?

Exodus 20:12 "Honor your father and mother that your days may be long upon the land, which the Lord your God is giving you."

This is the only commandment with a blessing attached. "Your days may be long." I find this very interesting. Honor my mom and dad and I will live longer....hmmmm! Have ya gone to Wal-mart recently? I know hat is a dumb question but I do have a point! I can't believe what I see and hear in there! Kids outright disrespecting their parents. I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to grab a kid up and wear their little tails out for the way they are talking to their parents. I still remember the FEW times I disrespected my parents with my mouth. Let me just say I was corrected and taught to respect my parents. It seems like I may have had some sore jaws or a sore butt a few times too!

Let me also say I realize many have parents who do not deserve honor as they have not been good parents. God did not put an exception clause in His commandment. Forgiveness may show your parents more than they ever showed or taught you! Honor must be given for the simple fact that without your parents you would not be here.

As I have gotten older I think back at how many times I thought my parents were so stupid. The more time passes I realize how very smart they were and how much they loved me. I find everyday my parents were much more intelligent than I ever imagined. Call your mom and dad today and tell them how much they mean to you....life is short!

Honor them and live!

Have a great Thursday!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment