Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Is your word good?

Here is today's verse:

James 5:12

12 But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath. But let your “Yes” be “Yes,” and your “No,” “No,” lest you fall into judgment.

If there is anything that really gets under my skin it is liars. I try my best to tell the truth even when it hurts. Since Jesus is Truth I believe He wants the truth from us at all times. For some reason we have started to believe that little white lies are ok but this is not found in scripture. In this verse God warns us not to swear or make an oath by heaven or earth. What He means by that is when we tell someone something and say I swear to God I will _____ fill in the blank. Do not do that! God tells us not too for one but also if you do not do what ever you promised you just broke an oath to God! If we would just do as God says and let our yes be yes and our no be no it would be so much eaiser and it would be pleasing to God. Not long ago folks made agreements by a handshake. Now we have to have all kinds of paperwork and lawyers and people still break their agreements! Again God says this should not be so and if we do lie we fall into judgement! I like to stay away from judgement as much as I can!

So as those who are followers of the Truth let us be up holders of the truth even though it may hurt sometimes it will be worth it in the end!

God bless....Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment