Monday, November 17, 2014

What would you do? #1




This week we are going to do something a little different. I am going to give you a scenario and then I want you to honestly think about the question or questions I ask after the scenario. God works through some amazing ways in the bible that is for sure and we will see that this week and then we will try to draw out what God wants us to see at the end of the scenarios.



So here we go:



You have several brothers and sisters. It is obvious you are your Father's favorite child. So much so that your father gives you a special gift, to you only. Your brothers and sisters see you with it all the time.



Here are your questions about this scene, remember answer honestly:



1. Knowing you are the favorite, how do you treat your brothers and sisters?



2. When your Father gives you the special gift, how does that make you feel?



3. How does that gift you received make your siblings feel?



Now look at this scripture:



Genesis 37:1-3

37 Jacob lived in the land of his father's sojournings, in the land of Canaan.

2 These are the generations of Jacob.

Joseph, being seventeen years old, was pasturing the flock with his brothers. He was a boy with the sons of Bilhah and Zilpah, his father's wives. And Joseph brought a bad report of them to their father. 3 Now Israel loved Joseph more than any other of his sons, because he was the son of his old age. And he made him a robe of many colors.



Jacob and Israel are the same person here. Joseph is the favorite son as we see in the verses. The gift was the robe of many colors. We also see here Joseph brought a bad report to Jacob about his brothers, so he was tattling on them above everything else! Now go back and look at the questions again. I am thinking if I am Joesph, I have some pride going on about me and dads relationship. If I am one of the brothers, I am thinking some not very fond things about my spoiled, favored, mouthy, tattling, brother!!!! What are you thinking?



How would God want us to treat others in all the different views here? Not the way I am thinking!!!! So chew on this today and we will move on tomorrow!



Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment