Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Filthy rags!



Good morning to all. We are in the middle of VBS this week. Please pray for these children and their teachers as we try to bring them closer to Jesus.

This mornings devotion is intended to make you do some thinking. I guess all my devotions are intended to make you think now that I think about it! As you will see it is kind of disgusting but there is no doubt God gets his point across.

Here is the verse I want us to look at:

Isaiah 64:6 (New King James Version)
6 But we are all like an unclean thing,
And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags;
We all fade as a leaf,
And our iniquities, like the wind,
Have taken us away

The part of the verse I really want to focus on is where is tells us of our righteousness. I think most people this they are pretty good people and therefore think that they are pretty righteous but that is certainly not what God's word says. He tells us very bluntly that our righteousness is like filthy rags when compared to Him! Ouch! Now in my studies on this, and be prepared this is pretty graphic, the flthy rags mentioned here is refering to used menstrual garments. If you are disgusted by this then you get the point God is trying to make!


This verse should keep our lives in check. Even when we become a Christian through accepting the shed blood of Christ for the remission of our sins we are then forgiven but we should think back on this verse and remind ourselves that it is not because of our righteousness or anything that we have done but by the mercy and grace of a loving God!

Oh God this verse has brought me to mt knees this morning. I am so underserving but yet so thankful for your love and for the shed blood of your Son on my behalf...thank you, thank you, thank you!

Have a great day brothers and sisters,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment