Thursday, July 30, 2009

Citizenship

Hello my friends! I hope your day is off to a great start. Praise the Lord today no matter what it brings for He is worthy!

Here are the scriptures for today:

Philippians 3:17-21

17 Brethren, join in following my example, and note those who so walk, as you have us for a pattern. 18 For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: 19 whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame—who set their mind on earthly things. 20 For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.

This is some good stuff so hold o as we go through these verses. First in verse 17 Paul tells us to follow his and the other believer's example. But make sure it is a true believer!!! As He continues he tells us that their are many who enemies of the cross. I believe what Paul is saying here is their are many folks who pretend to be believers or maybe even think themselves they are believers but are not. Paul defines in verse 19 their goal which is destruction. To destroy the true gospel. They have a different god their belly. Wow think on that for a moment. Think about how many in the world today are obese. Now for those who have a physical problem I am not referring to them. Could it be that for many today their belly is their God? I love to eat. Sometimes if I think about it I can see where my belly could be my god. We very rarely fast but it is very biblical to do so. Is something as simple as food leading us to destruction? Take time to think and maybe do a little studying on this and tell me what you think...it will be pretty obvious we got a problem with food ourselves!

Paul continues and says "glory is their shame". What he is telling us is they wanted to be the center of attention...not God. Again look at us here in America. Who is getting the glory??? God? I don't think so. It is Hollywood, singers, politicians, athletes, ect. How many of us have longed to get some glory? Our lives should be consumed with humility and giving God the glory He deserves. The Paul continues that their minds are set on earthly things. Sound familiar? My how the word of God hits home today. I see in my own community where we are so consumed with earthly things. Things that will not be worth 2 cents when we meet our maker face to face. We are in danger of this very same problem...we need to wake up! Paul tells us where our minds should be in verse 20. Oh this is so good don't miss it. Heaven! That is where our home is not here. We should be working hard for Jesus our Savior as we wait for His return! So are you? What have you done for Jesus recently?? Jesus is going to transform our old used up bodies when He returns...thank you Jesus. We are going to have a glorious body just like His!!! Did you catch that? Oh how unworthy we are but how loved we are by God. Thank you Jesus!

When Jesus returns He will subdue all things...oh I can't wait to see that. So this morning where is your true citizenship? Are you happy with these earthly things and filling up that belly both phyisically and spiritually with those earthly things? Or are you filling up with the things of God and claiming that citizenship in heaven and serving the King until He returns???

Wow I hope this devotion speaks to you as it has me!

God send Jesus soon!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment