Monday, July 20, 2009

Getting Christ out!

Hello my brothers and sisters! I have missed writing these devotions. I took the youth to camp in Orange beach, Alabama. It was a wonderful week of learning, worship, and praise. The speaker was Matt Chandler who was very challenging and the worship leader was Charlie Hall. I ask you to pray for the kids to keep seeking God daily in their lives.

At this camp we went through the book of Phillipians....so while it is fresh on my mind let's look at some verses together out of this book. Lets start with these:

Christ Is Preached

12 But I want you to know, brethren, that the things which happened to me have actually turned out for the furtherance of the gospel, 13 so that it has become evident to the whole palace guard, and to all the rest, that my chains are in Christ; 14 and most of the brethren in the Lord, having become confident by my chains, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.
15 Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from goodwill: 16 The former preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains; 17 but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel. 18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice.

The first thought that comes to my mind is if anybody can say "the things which happened to me have actually turned out for the futherance of the gospel" it is the apostle Paul. Remember all the things he went through. Beaten, shipwrecked, snake bit, and imprisoned which was where he was at when he was writting this. Can we say that in our lives that good or bad Christ is being preached??? This is a very important question to ask ourselves.

In verse 13 Paul tells us he is preaching to the whole palace guard that He is a Christ follower. I ask myslef this morning if I was in prison would I be pouting and having a pity party or would I be using it to tell folks about Jesus....Jesus is the reason Paul is in Prison!!!

In verse 14 Paul tells that his brothers in Christ have become more bold because of his imprisonment. That is something that we need to remember...others watch us no matter where we are in life and can become more bold by our actions! Wow! Stop and think about that for a moment.

Paul tells us in verse 15-18 that their are all kinds of folks who preach Jesus. Some for the right reasons and some for the wrong reasons but He didn't care as long as Jesus was being preached! He even says that some are preaching just to try and hurt him in prison. What is Paul's response...He is rejoicing! Oh God give me some of Paul's insight and responses.

I don't know about you but my first response to those who are wronging me is not rejoicing but that is where I am wrong especially when they are getting the name of Jesus out! Let me give a little warning here though as I believe Paul does in another place in the bible....if Jesus is being preached it needs to be the gospel of the bible not a man made gospel. For there are plenty of false gospels going around!

Think about this lesson today...Paul is sharing some very difficult teachings to us here! Grab on to them and apply them to your life!

God bless! Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment