Monday, October 8, 2012

Sin has consequences!




One thing I have found is that the bible clearly teaches that our sin has consequences!



Judges 2:1-4



2 Then the Angel of the Lord came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said: “I led you up from Egypt and brought you to the land of which I swore to your fathers; and I said, ‘I will never break My covenant with you. 2 And you shall make no covenant with the inhabitants of this land; you shall tear down their altars.’ But you have not obeyed My voice. Why have you done this? 3 Therefore I also said, ‘I will not drive them out before you; but they shall be thorns in your side, and their gods shall be a snare to you.’” 4 So it was, when the Angel of the Lord spoke these words to all the children of Israel, that the people lifted up their voices and wept.



Over and over God had mercy on Israel in the old testament. He forgave them many, many times. Just like a good parent, God loves his children but when they do wrong, punishment will come. Thank God that he forgives us but we still have to reap what we sow. Look at verse 2 again, can you hear the hurt in God's voice?



2 And you shall make no covenant with the inhabitants of this land; you shall tear down their altars.’ But you have not obeyed My voice. Why have you done this?



How many times does God say the same thing to us when we disobey?



Then in verse 3 God tells them the consequences for their failure to obey:



3 Therefore I also said, ‘I will not drive them out before you; but they shall be thorns in your side, and their gods shall be a snare to you.’”



Now for us we are not always told what our consequences will be, sometimes we do know. The point to catch here is sin brings consequences, it is a clear teaching from the start of the bible...Adam and Eve and the curse brought on by sin.



The peoples response in much like ours:



that the people lifted up their voices and wept.



When we get caught we feel bad. The key here is to obey from the beginning and reap God's blessings!



So this morning let us think about everything we do, obey the Lord, and not have to face the consequences of sin!



Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment