Thursday, April 29, 2010

Correction..be careful!

I have found this to be very true...have you???

Proverbs 9:8

8 Do not correct a scoffer, lest he hate you;
Rebuke a wise man, and he will love you.

Let me first give you a definition of a scoffer: someone who jeers or mocks or treats something with contempt or calls out in derision. So to put in english, a soffer is someone who thinks what you are talking about is foolishness so he or she will make fun of you for it. Many times over the years I have talked with folks who are scoffers. The more you try to teach them the truth of God the more upset they get. Hate is a very strong word. I am not sure the people I have talked to hate me but I wouldn't say I was on their Christmas card list either! I have seen may folks on T.V. though who do hate being corrected by the teachings of God. In our world today this is seen in many places.

In complete contrast to the first part of verse 8 look at the second half. When a wise man is rebuked he will love you! Why would someone grow in love when being rebuked? The reason is if a man is right with God and someone shows him the errors of his way, he appreciates it because he will now grow in his realtionship with God...thus he is thankful! Being corrected is not fun but when it is done in love and we being taught the truths of God it is a great thing! There have been times in my life where I have been corrected by a friend in the faith. Sometimes I received it gladly and sometimes not. But no matter how I received it later I could go back and see how God was using that person to grow my fiath and relationship with HIM!!!

God's truth has spoke again in Proverbs! Apply it to your life, you won't regret it!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment