Thursday, April 15, 2010

Want some good sleep?

The book of Proverbs is so relevant for everyday living. If you haven't read them in a while...read 1 chapter a day and you can go through the whole book in a month. Much wisdom to be obtained in this book! Here are today's verses:

Proverbs 3:19-24

19 The LORD by wisdom founded the earth;
By understanding He established the heavens;
20 By His knowledge the depths were broken up,
And clouds drop down the dew.
21 My son, let them not depart from your eyes—
Keep sound wisdom and discretion;
22 So they will be life to your soul
And grace to your neck.
23 Then you will walk safely in your way,
And your foot will not stumble.
24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid;
Yes, you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet.

In verses 19-20 there are 3 things I want you to see. The first is wisdom. Only the Lord's wisdom could form the earth. He wants to share His wisdom with us and that is why He has given us His written Word the Bible. So we can grasp onto some of that wisdom. The second is understanding. God formed the universe by His understanding. Now we will never understand to the extent that God understands but He has given us brains and the ability to learn and understand things. The most important thing He wants us to understand is His love for us and He demonstrated that by sending His Son to die for us on the cross so we can spend eternity with Him. He also wants us to understand basic truths about how to live life....again we gain that understanding by reading His Word and through prayer. The third point is discretion. We can have all the wisdom and understanding in the world but if we don't have discretion we will be in trouble. When to talk when not too. When to help. When to stand strong and when to let things go. God automatically has discretion but we have to learn it.

Now look at verses 22 -24. When we have these learned traits God tells us it will be life and grace to us! Wow. I want to live my life to the fullest and God's Word says to do that I must have these learned traits. I want to have a grace filled life before man and God and I can with these learned traits. These verses go on to say I will walk safely and I will not stumble. Think on this for a moment. These learned traits give me stability in the Lord. For my decisions and acts will be made with wisdom and understanding. Then in verse 24 God tells me I will not be afraid and when I lie down my sleep will be sweet. What a promise from God! My friends when we treat people right and understand how to live our lives according to God's Word we learn discretion. We know what to do and when to do it plain and simple. When you treat people the way God intended you can lie down and night and not have to worry about anything. Which provides sweet sleep! Thank you Lord!

Want some good sleep you can have it if you are learning and living the way the Lord intends!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment