Thursday, September 19, 2013

Be a Berean!




We can pick up some very important things from the Bereans! Read these verses:



Acts 17:10-11

10 The brothers immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea, and when they arrived they went into the Jewish synagogue. 11 Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.



So what do we see here?



1. "they received the word with all eagerness" They wanted God's Word! Do you? I will be honest, some days I have a eagerness to get into the Word, and some days I have to force myself into the Word. The key is though, I get in the Word. No matter how I get into the Word, once I get started I am ALWAYS blessed by spending time with God. So get in God's Word!



2. "examining the Scriptures daily" The Bereans are in the Word daily! Not just on Sunday morning but daily! This is how we get to know God and His ways. Are you in the Word daily? Examining is more that just a read over! They studied to get deep meaning. I hope and pray you are too so you can get a deep relationship with God!



3. "examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so" what does this mean? It means they did not take man's word about the scriptures but they looked and studied for themselves! This is a important point. I pray that your pastor or whoever is bringing the truth to you about scripture, but it is your responsibility to find out. The Bereans looked for themselves and you should too! If your are reading and studying your bibles like you should, you will have a good idea if the truth is coming out because you are studied up!



So are you like the Bereans? You need to be! Get in the Word, eagerly, read to lean and apply what God teaches you. The blessing that will flow from that is a deeper, more intimate relationship with the God who created you and loves you!



Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment