Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Death...what a subject huh?



The picture is of my granddad this past summer.

Well it was one of those Holiday weekends where there was some fun but also some tough times. It was great to spend some time with my wife and to do a little fishing but also I had a heavy heart and still do. My granddad is on his death bed right now. We are praying for the Lord to take him quickly. As I have thought about this over the weekend you can see where my thought for todays devotion comes from.

Death. Do you ever think about it much? I have always found it interesting that at different stages of our life we have different views of death. For instance when we are young we think we are invincible and we are going to live forever. In our middle ages we move to someday I probably am going to die but it is a long way off. Then as we get into out older ages we know we are going to die and wonder how long until it happens!

God's Word tells us we do have a limited time:

Psalm 90:10 (New King James Version)


10 The days of our lives are seventy years;
And if by reason of strength they are eighty years,
Yet their boast is only labor and sorrow;
For it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

I am amazed every day by the accuracy of God's word even today. 70-80 years for most is about it. My granddad is 97 so he has beat the law of averages. I often say I don't think I want to live that long in the world we live in today. To go and be with the Lord around 80 will be a blessing. God's word also tells us that 120 is the limit. We won't live pass this age...do you know anybody who has?

Genesis 6:3 (New King James Version)

3 And the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not strive[a] with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.”

Now let me be clear on this....I am talking of our bodies....the flesh. We WILL live for eternity spiritually in either one of two places....heaven or hell. Look what Hebrews says:

Hebrews 9:27-28 (New King James Version)

27 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, 28 so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation

So I guess my question this morning for all of us is are we ready? The Bible never tells us we are promised those 70-80 years. We are not promised tomorrow. That is why we must accept Jesus today. For He loves us and died for us so we may spend eternity with Him!! Praise God and thank you Jesus.

Take some time and think about this today. Please do me a favor and ask the Lord to come quickly for my granddad. Thank you and God bless each of you.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment