Thursday, May 21, 2009

Have ya gone fishing?







As I shared a few days ago my dad was in for a visit and we got to go fishing. It was a great afternoon on the water. Since then God has given me some thoughts about this adventure that I want to share with you this morning. For those of you who read your Bibles this probably won't be anything new but maybe a reminder of a few things.

If you recall Jesus rounded up a few fishermen to follow Him. Look at Matthew 4:18-19:

18 And Jesus, walking by the Sea of Galilee, saw two brothers, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. 19 Then He said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.” 20 They immediately left their nets and followed Him.
21 Going on from there, He saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in the boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets. He called them, 22 and immediately they left the boat and their father, and followed Him.

The first point I would like to make is the fishermen immediately dropped everything to follow Jesus. Are we willing to do the same? I know many hunters and fishermen who will drop everything to go hunting and fishing but are not willing to drop everything to do the Lord' work....these four guys were willing.

The second point is this. While we were bass fishing we would cast and reel in, cast and reel in. Then every once in a while we would get a bite! This is much like being fishers of men with the gospel. We cast the word to one and they are not interested so we reel in. We cast to another one and they are not interested so we reel in. Then cast to another and BAM we have a hit. They take the Word as we say in fishing hook, line and sinker!!! What a catch for the Lord. There is a major difference in fishing for men for the Lord than in fishing for fish. When we are fishing for the Lord all we are really doing is baiting the hook and God is doing the catching. Well now that I think about it when we are fishing for fish we bait the hook and God blesses us with a fish or not!!!

The third and final point I want to make this morning is fellowship. Jesus loved fellowship with the fishermen and the disciples. When we went fishing the other day a friend of mine took us in his boat. We had a great time talking and sharing the Lord's creation together. Enjoying the outdoors with lost friends is a great opportunity for a great catch!!! Take advantage of these times and share the bait (the Word of God) with them. God may bless you with a great blessing....leading someone to Him. On Monday I am going to do just that. I have a good buddy of mine coming into town to go fishing. He is not saved. Please pray for me and for him. I am going fishing in more ways than one!!! May the Lord bless me with a catch! And I am not talking about a bass!

God bless you this day my friends,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment