Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Ten Commandments #11



I come to you this morning with a heavy heart. A young man in our community drown yesterday afternoon. Jeremy Vandevoir was only 21 years old and will be sorely missed in our community. My prayers go out to his mom and dad, may God comfort you in this time of great sorrow. Today's devotion is dedicated to Jeremy.

Our third example of how we pick and choose which part of God's word we are going to follow is Forgiveness. I think when we first think of forgiveness some of us may think I do a pretty good job in this area. Oh really? God's word is very clear in this area and when I examine myself I see once again God's Word convicts in a very powerful way.

Luke 17:3-4 (New King James Version)

3 Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. 4 And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you,[b] saying, ‘I repent,’ you shall forgive him.”

Forgive more than once??? Well they don't deserve it and well you just don't know what they have done to me and my family!!! Sound familiar? It does to me. The Bible says as long as they ask for forgiveness we are to keep forgiving even if it is seven times in a day!!!

Matthew 6:14-16 (New King James Version)

14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Oh my chew on this for awhile.....if we don't forgive God says we won't be forgiven. So what choice do we have in forgiveness???? None!

One last example....

Luke 23:34 (New King James Version)

34 Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.”

As Jesus was hanging on the cross He prayed for forgiveness of those who crucified Him. Is there a better example for us than this?? Can anyone in our life wrong us more than we have wronged Jesus? We must be able to forgive as Christ has forgiven us!

It is not a choice it is a command.

Tell someone about Jesus today! We are not promised tomorrow!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment