Thursday, January 28, 2010

Convicting! #22

Ths Holy Spirit convicts us of our sin in two ways.....the first being before we ask Jesus into our lives.

John 16:7-11
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. 8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; 11 of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.

Do you see in verse 8 where it says the world will be convicted of sin? Now remember back to the time when you asked Jesus into your life. At some point during that time you realized you were a sinner and that you needed Jesus to save you from those sins, right? The Holy Spirit is who convicted you of that sin in your life and helped you realize "I need Jesus!!!". Thank you Holy Spirit for that conviction.

The second way the Spirit convicts is after we have asked Jesus into our lives. Look at this verse:

Romans 8:26
26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered

I really like this verse. The Spirit helps in our weakness! He warns us with little voice in our head of when danger lies ahead. All those temptations the devil throws our way we have a helper in the Spirit to guide us away from sin. And if we fall He convicts us of that sin and as the verse above says will even make intercession for us when needed. That is so awesome!!! To be honest I am glad to Holy Spirit convicts me when I sin but I sure do hate the way I feel when He does. I feel like I have failed God. I feel that way because I have but the good news is I serve a forgiving God! If I confess my sin...God promises to forgive! WOW!

So this morning we see the convicting power of the Holy Spirit....thank Him today for helping us through His convictions!!!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment