Friday, February 19, 2010

Interesting Question!

I was doing some reading and come upon this question:

TO a missionary sharing Christ: "Do you want me to become a Christian because you love me, or do you love me so I will become a Christian?

I have read this over and over now and am trying to figure out the anwswer. So what would you say? I believe after much thought and consideration, it should be both! I believe from scriture we can see where both should be a part of our life. Let me show you.

The first question is fairly easy "Do you want me to become a Christian because you love me?" The answer to this is the second greatest commandment according to Christ. Love your neighbor as yourself. Because of our love for others it should be natural for us to want them to be a Christian and have eternal life.

The second question is a little more difficult to answer. "Do you love me so I will become a Christian?" I believe this question can be answered in 1 Corinthians 13:1-8a:


1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.
4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails.

Now this don't directly answer the question, I believe it does in a round about way. Here is why I say this. You see in this passage that God's word tells us that love is the most important gift He gives us. God also tells us that love never fails. So what I pull from this scripture is when we love, God will do amazing work through the Holy Spirit through us. With that being said what is the greatest gift God wants to give? Salvation! When we show others love we should have in mind bringing them to Jesus so they can be a Christian!

Our desire in life as Christians should be for others to come to Him for a personal relationship no matter how you word it!!!!

Have a great weekend and worship the King!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment