Friday, February 12, 2010

It takes two to tango! #31

Check out these verses:

Philippians 2:12-13

12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

This verse has always intrigued me. It almost sounds contradictory. In verse 12 Paul tells us to work out our own salvation but then turns around and says in verse 13 it is God who works in us! If you look at it it is not contradictory at all. It teaches us a simple truth that is throughout the Bible. That truth is this....God will work in us through the Holy Spirit but we have a responsibility to work also! Pretty simple huh? Could God force us to do His will....absolutely He could but that is not Love and God is Love! He has given us free will to do as we choose. Many times in my life I haved wished I didn't have this free will because I have blown it so many times. BUT that is where some more good news comes in....I serve a forgiving, loving God who when I fail picks me up, dusts me off, and tells me to get in there and try it again. As I was writing this I pictured learning to ride a bicycle. When dad or mom was teaching us we would fall and they would pick up, make sure we were ok, and encourage us to try again! Why? Because they love us!

So we see here this morning it does take two to tango. God works in us through the Spirit and we work out our Salvation by being obedient and doing God's will in our life. Let me tell you my friend this will be the most beutiful dance you will ever have!!!

Side note....we do not work to obtain Salvation but we do work to prove our Salvation....read James for more details!

Have a great weekend brothers and sisters!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment