Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Joy...when having problems?

I have been studying the book of James and wanted to share some thoughts from there. James is one of my favorite books of the Bible I guess because it don't beat around the bush and pretty much tells it like it is. Here are the verses for today:

James 1:2-4

Profiting from Trials

2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

I don't know about you but it has taken me many years to grasp the meaning of these verses. At first glance I think now how in the world is one suppose to count it joy when we are in the midst of problems. Naturally our tendencies are to not be very happy when we are having problems. James tells us here though we should be counting it as joy??? Well how do we do that? It all comes down to the state of mind we are in. Verses 3 and 4 help give us the answer. The trials we face are a test! Ever thought of that? When we come to realize that fact it changes our sate of mind. For example....when someone in the store cuts in front of you in line. Our first reaction is to say "hey I was here first get in the back of the line!!". Now if we are in the right frame of mind which means having the mind of Christ and knowing that we are tested daily we should put others first not say a word and let them have that spot! For me that is very hard to do! You see how in verse 3 it says this produces patience? Obviously from my example this will help produce patience. Verse 4 says our patience then produces perfect work. Perfect defined here means mature. So we become more mature in our faith. When we become mature in our faith we lack nothing as we are becoming more and more like Christ. That is what we should be striving for each day. Now I want to say this. The example I gave was an easy trial compared to some things we will face in this life....so you can see how if we face them in the right frame of mind, keeping God and others first, how we will grow in our maturity in the Lord. That is how we can have true joy in our lives by being obidient to Christ and His Word.

Do you have joy today....get your mind in line with the mind of Christ and you can!!!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment