Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Revelation #11




As we move on to the fifth church this morning I thank God for His Revelations to us!



Revelation 3:1-6



To the Church in Sardis

1"And to the angel of the church in Sardis write: 'The words of him who has the seven spirits of God and the seven stars.



"'I know your works. You have the reputation of being alive, but you are dead. 2Wake up, and strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your works complete in the sight of my God. 3 Remember, then, what you received and heard. Keep it, and repent. If you will not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come against you. 4Yet you have still a few names in Sardis, people who have not soiled their garments, and they will walk with me in white, for they are worthy. 5 The one who conquers will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life. I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels. 6 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.'



Sardis represents church history as the "Reformation" time period. It was known for being an entertainment center. Music and and sensual palaces were the leading entertainment. This church appeared very successful on the outside but as we will see what is on the outside is not always true on the inside!



In verse 1 We see Jesus jumps right into the problem! Jesus tells them He knows their works! They have the reputation of being alive but on the inside they are dead! Jesus knew their works and He knows ours too! In verse 2 Jesus tells them to wake up and Get their eyes on Jesus! Reminds me of Peter when He took his eyes off Jesus he sank into the water....that is what was happening to this church! When Jesus says "strengthen what remains" it is a reminder to get back to the Word for it endures forever. Jesus also tells them "I have not found your works complete" for their eyes were on self instead of God. Verse 3 Jesus reminds them to "remember what they had received and heard". The Word of God and the Holy Spirit! Jesus told them to repent! Then Jesus told them what will happen if they don't. He would come like a thief in the night with judgement! History tells us this happened twice! In 547 B.C.. Cyrus the second, and in 214 B.C. by Antiochus the third. Both times watchmen on the walls failed to detect an enemy army sneaking up its supposedly impregnable cliffs and walls!!! Coincidence? I think not....it is God! In verse 4 once again Jesus knows their is the faithful in the midst who are pure and worthy! I pray my Jesus will always be able to say that about me...amen? In verse 5 Jesus makes an interesting statement: "I will never blot his name out of the book of life" referring to the faithful. Don't miss this! In Exodus 32:33 it says:



Exodus 32:33



33But the LORD said to Moses, "Whoever has sinned against me, I will blot out of my book.



All names start out in the book of life but some are blotted out because they don not accept Christ as lord and Savior! Wow! God loves us...we make the choice! Jesus closes out by telling us He will confess us before the father and the angles and again to listen to what he is saying!



Great Word from Jesus as always!



Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment