Thursday, August 25, 2011

Revelation #12




Revelation 3:7-13



On to the sixth church this morning!



To the Church in Philadelphia

7"And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: 'The words of the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, who shuts and no one opens.

8"'I know your works. Behold, I have set before you an open door, which no one is able to shut. I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. 9Behold, I will make those of the synagogue of Satan who say that they are Jews and are not, but lie—behold, I will make them come and bow down before your feet and they will learn that I have loved you. 10 Because you have kept my word about patient endurance, I will keep you from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole world, to try those who dwell on the earth. 11 I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown. 12 The one who conquers, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God. Never shall he go out of it, and I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down from my God out of heaven, and my own new name. 13 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.'



The church history period for this church is 1500 A.D.-WWI. Philadelphia is considered to be the finest of the seven churches. They had a love for missions and evangelism. Jesus had no criticism for this church!



In verse 7 Jesus reveals to this church what they obviously already know...He is the Holy One, the true One, and has the key of David which refers to having the key to the kingdom of heaven. What ever Jesus opens no one shuts and what ever He closes no one opens! In verse 8 Jesus tells them he knows their works which were great and Jesus had opened a door of blessing before them which no one could shut! Jesus also says He knows they have little power in themselves but in HIM they have great power, amen? They have kept the Word of God and been faithful...oh church may God say the same about us! In verse 9 Jesus reveals His power to us as he says He will make those who follow Satan bow before His church and learn how much Jesus loves them! In verse 10 Jesus tells them some great news! because of their faithfulness Jesus tells the church He will keep the "hour of trial" from coming upon them. This is a reference to the seven years of tribulation which the whole world will face! This is a great Word to the church! In verse 11 Jesus reminds them He is coming soon, to remain faithful, so they don't lose their rewards(crown) in heaven. In verse 12 Jesus says something interesting to the one who overcomes, "I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God". In A.D. 17 the city of Philadelphia was leveled by an earthquake. When they rebuilt the city Roman officials had a plan to make the project move along more quickly. They appealed to the citizens pride and offered a position pillar in honor of contributors inside the temple to Diana they were building. The contribution has to be considerable of course. The contributor then would have his name inscribed on his pillar! Jesus took this well publicized fact and used it to assure his followers of their secure position in God! Verse 12 is a great verse just to look at and praise God for His faithfulness and our security in Christ!. Then in verse 13 Jesus again tells us to listen to what the Spirit is telling us.



Follow Jesus my friends....follow Jesus.



Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment