Thursday, August 6, 2009

Can you say...am I content?

My friends stop for a moment this day and just praise the King. He deserves it for He is God.

Today's devotion as always when we are in God's word is tough. When I answer the question asked in the title I can't honestly say that I am always content. It seems as though we think we always need more or less of something. Maybe we should realize God has us right where we are for a reason and take our life at that. Paul did and we should too!

Here are our verse's:

Philippians 4:10-13

10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity. 11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

In verse 10 Paul praises the Philippians church for their care. The in verse 11 Paul says really he has no need! WOW no need??? He is in prison and has been through beatings, shipwreck, snake bites, and all sorts of persecution but he is content. Brothers and sisters this is something we must grasp onto. A very important teaching. God does not promise comfort now....only in eternity. Matter of fact Jesus basically promised persecution if we are following Him! Do you now why Paul was content? Because He was in the center of God's will and he knew it. Are you content? Are you in God's will? Are you being persecuted? Our answers to these questions can tell us much about our faith.

In verse 12 Paul tells us he can be abased...the word abased means lower reputation or to be humble...after meeting Jesus in the way He did I don't think Paul had a problem with where he ranked in man's opinions. Paul also said He knows how to abound...abound means rich or filled up...Paul at one time had everything materially he could ever want he found only Jesus satisfies and now he is full! Then Paul says in verse 13, one of the most used verses in the Bible, he can endure anything through the strength of Christ. He proved this verse didn't he? This verse is used in the wrong way often. Here is what I mean. Athletes use this verse often in the sense that God will provide for them to overcome on the field. Does God really care if I hit a home run or score a touch down? I doubt it. What God does care about is spreading His word and bringing others to Him and when we are facing persecution in doing so He will give you the strength you need to get it done!

So my brothers and sisters are you content? Even in suffering? Hard question huh?

Have an awesome day!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment