Thursday, February 16, 2012

Church excuses debunked #1

I was think this morning about the excuses I have heard about why folks don't go to church. I want to cover a few of them over then next few days. One of the biggest excuses I hear is "I don't go because of all the hypocrites that go to church." I am sure you have either used that one yourself or know someone who uses that excuse.



First, I want to point out to you that Jesus used one of the biggest hypocrites of all time to build the church....who might that be? Peter! Do you remember this incident?



Matthew 26:31-35



31 Then Jesus said to them, “All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written:



‘I will strike the Shepherd,

And the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’[d]

32 But after I have been raised, I will go before you to Galilee.”

33 Peter answered and said to Him, “Even if all are made to stumble because of You, I will never be made to stumble.”

34 Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you that this night, before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.”

35 Peter said to Him, “Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You!”

And so said all the disciples.



Matthew 26:69-74



69 Now Peter sat outside in the courtyard. And a servant girl came to him, saying, “You also were with Jesus of Galilee.”

70 But he denied it before them all, saying, “I do not know what you are saying.”

71 And when he had gone out to the gateway, another girl saw him and said to those who were there, “This fellow also was with Jesus of Nazareth.”

72 But again he denied with an oath, “I do not know the Man!”

73 And a little later those who stood by came up and said to Peter, “Surely you also are one of them, for your speech betrays you.”

74 Then he began to curse and swear, saying, “I do not know the Man!”

Immediately a rooster crowed. 75 And Peter remembered the word of Jesus who had said to him, “Before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.” So he went out and wept bitterly.



Can anyone be a bigger hypocrite than Peter? This did not stop Jesus from building His church upon Peter!



Matthew 16:18



18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.



If Jesus did not have a problem with Peter being the leader of the church and getting it established. Then knowing that hypocrites are a part of the church keep us from attending....absolutely not!



Secondly, when we get right down to it all of us are hypocrites in areas of our lives. The church is a place for sick people to get healed of their sickness....sin. God tells us in Hebrews 10:25 not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together....in others words the gathering of the church is not an option. I have never seen in the Bible a clause that says unless their are hypocrites!



So this morning we see the hypocrite excuse doesn't fly! I will end with this quote by Johnny Hunt "I would not have much faith in the gas in the bus that can get you to heaven if it can't even get you to church!"



Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment